Point Cloud to BIM is a 3D model created with laser scanning. Point cloud modeling is widely popular for its precision. As you can extract detailed elements of an object captured in physical space. This enables accurate modeling, clash coordination and quantity takeoff (QTO) or Bill of materials (BOQ). Several construction projects in the renovation and the extension stages are using point cloud scan to BIM process for 3d model creation, 3d visualization, animation and quality inspection. Scan to BIM modeling involves the technique of making a digital representation of an existing building condition with its functional and physical attributes. Laser scanners facilitate in obtaining a perfect 3d scan to BIM, which is then imported into the 3D BIM software. Faro scan to BIM process is designed by architects, engineers and general contractors to process 3D laser scan data quickly and accurately. Revit scan to bim is also popular for creating as-built models for refurbishment and renovation. Scan to BIM revit facilitates creation of as-built BIM model for renovation work of infrastructure asset including tunnels and bridges. In the AEC sector, laser scan to bim best practices are used by the surveyors, owners, architects, engineers and general contractors for their renovation and refurbishment projects.
What are the Laser Scan to BIM Services?
- 3d Modeling – 3d models are created from laser scan to BIM process for architectural, structural and MEPFP services for the sake of renovation and extension work. The process of scan to BIM modeling enhances transparency, streamlining communication for quick decision making throughout the project lifecycle. High quality revit scan to bim modeling ensures that the Revit components are built intelligently with the practicality of serving the purpose. Parametric Revit families contain a realistic information about performance models, required for executing calculation analysis and construction simulation. Scan to BIM add-in helps to create and validate model from point cloud with automatic recognition and placement of architectural and MEP elements like walls, columns, pipes, ducts, conduits, etc.
Usually, a data rich 3D scan to BIM model includes:
- Necessary COBie parameters
- System connection establishment between source & destination of services
- Modeling of Asset facilities
- Comprehensive Connector in equipment families
- Linking COBie extension sheet in the model
- As Built Drawing Preparation – The purpose behind Scan to BIM applications is capturing the actual as-built conditions of buildings. BIM serves as a knowledge repository coordinating building facilities throughout the project lifecycle. As-built drawings from laser scan facilitates planning, elevations and formation of section sheets for architectural, structural and MEP services. The construction drawings serve as a comprehensive reference tool enabling future project planning, through renovation, extension and redevelopment from point cloud scan to bim. As details related to building dimensions, erection, fabrication, material location, elevation, etc. are obtained from as-built drawings, they could be used for resolving disputes regarding insurance claims.
- 4D Construction Scheduling – Implementing scan to BIM Revit software platform, point cloud scan to BIM enables old building renovation for gaining momentum and creating interest among architects. The construction schedule or the 4d sequence of the project is related to the point cloud scan data. Users click on building objects in 4D visual environments, viewing associated tasks in the Gantt chart.
- Facilities Management Integrating COBie Data Integration – Facility management is one of the best scan to bim best practices, where scan to bim companies support AEC project stakeholders to organize approved submittals from laser scan point cloud data during renovation and extension. A comprehensive contact data has the records of all construction projects. The BIM modeling drawings and models could be easily accessed through server directories. BIM consultants follow COBie process for asset facility management.
How BIM Company works with Point Cloud to BIM Conversion ?
- Identifying Information Requirement:
- Building elements, Level of Detail (LOD) and non-geometric attributes
- Setting parameters for Scan to BIM Process:
- Accuracy, resolution of space, coverage and other attributes such as location, resolution, etc.
- Capturing Reality with 3D laser scanner:
- Collecting data with high speed and accuracy, represents an accurate digital picture of 3d mapping of sites through multiple point cloud scans using popular laser scanning tools like Faro, Trimble, Riegl and Leica.
Types of Scan to BIM process:
Scanning process gets executed in several ways including:
- 360 Degree Scan, providing a complete 360 degree view of the construction site
- Time-of-Flight Scan, measuring distance between horizontal and vertical angles, in order that the scanner head occupies all grid positions for scans.
- Phase-based Scans, calculating the phase shift of returning laser energy for gauging distances.
Point Cloud Revit Scan to BIM workflow
- Input requirements for Scan to BIM modeling & construction drawings
- Scan data from RCS/RCP with asset tag and bubble view
- As Built Drawings
- O & M manual
- Statement installation methodology
- Material Submittal
- List of Spare Parts
- Project stakeholder information for contact sheet
- A Complete List of Equipment
- Request for Information (RFIs) pertaining to all services
If there is a mismatch in the point cloud, due to insufficient scan data, RFIs need to be prepared:
- Discrepancies between two or more point clouds
- Areas concealed by the equipment
- Trouble to measure the diameter of insulated pipes and ducts
- Presence of inconsistency between point cloud and as built drawings
- Software Support for Laser Scan to BIM
Various software applications support laser scan to BIM modeling for visualizing and navigating point cloud files. The software usage helps to compress the files and acquiring the dimensions easily from the BIM model. Popular software platforms include True View, FLS Viewer, Autodesk ReCap, Leica-JetStream-Viewer, etc.
- 3D Laser Scan to Revit BIM Work Process
- Conducting 3d laser scan of a specific area
- Producing scanned 3d database files
- Using Leica’s Cyclone to export
- Importing scanned data (RCS file) into Revit
- Using Recap software tools with added features including color, density, and slicing options to view the point cloud file
- Importing PTG and PTS files along with PCG
- Capturing photo-metric images of the defined area, attaching them to the scanned data
- Digitizing BIM model in Revit through point cloud files and photo-metric data
- Creating a complete Revit BIM model, depending on the proficiency of the modeler
- Quality Control
Scan to bim revit plugins or model review add-ins are followed for checking the project standards. A checklist is followed for the quality control or quality analysis of 3d model. Section views made within Revit help to check the deviations. As a result clash detection and coordination amongst trades become easy and scan to BIM could be applied for measuring deviations.
Benefits of point cloud laser scan to BIM at different stages of construction
- Design Build Phase– During the design-build phase, the as built model of the construction site and the surrounding buildings allow the designers to comprehend site conditions better, enabling improved design decisions regarding the construction facility.
- Construction Stage – At the time construction, point cloud laser scan to BIM helps to locate any discrepancies between as-built BIM model and as-designed BIM model. This is further compared to the tolerance values as per relevant building codes and guidelines. Different aspects are considered in the construction phase, including Virtual Installation, Construction Safety Management, and Digital Reproduction.
- Virtual Installation for Clash Resolution: Through accurate as-built BIM models, virtual installation and assemblies help scan to BIM to identify potential problems before actual installation. Clashes get resolved, resulting in significant time and cost savings.
- Building Safety Management: Point cloud scan to BIM model improves construction safety management, identifying safety hazards, suggesting measures to ensure project safety.
- Digital Reproduction: Scan to BIM replaces several drawings, providing a comprehensive 3D model on a digital platform. The technique also provides the ability to visualize design and make necessary design modifications.
- Facility Operations – Building facility operations and facility management stages also reap the benefits of scan to bim modeling. Point cloud Laser scanning enables better design documentation and functionality. Complex geometrics along with the building texture constitute to be the most fundamental application of Scan to BIM. Further performance analysis of the building can be executed to improve building performance, energy consumption and structural reliability. 3D visualization capability helps to organize multiple functionalities, like facility operations and management, space management, renovation planning, emergency management and resource development.
So, are you willing to invest in point cloud scan to BIM Conversion? You will get several advantages from point cloud scan to BIM including assured construction quality and time saving, eliminating frequent site visits. This enhances time accessibility with the contractors to initiate the planning process, evaluating project risk. BIM adoption facilitates every construction process to have improved project sustainability, saving costs, and fostering collaboration. To know about scan to bim cost or scan to bim jobs, get in touch with Tejjy Inc. BIM service provider in USA. Contact 202-465-4830 or send mails to firstname.lastname@example.org. The BIM engineers having 14+ years of experience in the construction workflow are proficient with scan to BIM best practices. Discuss your project today with the BIM consultants of Tejjy Inc. and plan your BIM execution with laser scanning.